Monday, December 17, 2012

A Moment Of Silence


It's hard to do what I do, to make fun of celebrity-gossip magazines, when such a horrendous tragedy is weighing so heavily on my mind. I had some arguably funny posts in my head, but taking a step back from all that for a moment, I am reminded of how lucky we are to live in such a wonderful world, and how terrible it is when that tranquility of the moments we take for granted are shattered by brutality and violence. I was not personally affected by the tragedy, but my heart is really, truly broken for those who will not be spending this Christmas with a loved one. I can't imagine all the pain that they are feeling at this hour, but I hope with every fiber of my being that there really is an eternity of heavenly happiness, where those children will get to laugh and play without fear for the rest of their afterlives.

As for this talk of "what we should do about this" - talk of banning guns, or deploying law enforcement officials to every school - this talk is frivolous. There will always be evil in the world, and evil men and women will prey upon the weakest among us, the defenseless, the poor, the most-loved, and the innocent. They will always try to destroy our souls, and our will, and though they will always cast a malevolent shadow over everything we hold dear, do not be afraid. What to do? Tell someone you love them. Hug your loved ones, and hold them tight. Forgive someone who has wronged you. Accept an apology. Show kindness and compassion, even to those who do not deserve it. If you are religious, pray for peace in the lives of the victims. Pray for your family and thank God for every one of them.

I wish a Merry Christmas to you all. Stay strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment